Copenhagen is one of the absolute most amiable cities in the world. It's full of vibrancy wherever you go. While it is possible to see a lot that the capital city offers in just a day or so, you won't want the time you have to spend there to be so fleeting. Once you get wrapped up in the city's charm, history, and culture, you may never want to leave. So to make sure you take in all that you can during your visit, here is a list of the top experiences you shouldn't miss out on.
1. Tivoli Gardens. This exciting theme park is fun for all ages.
2. Nyhavn. Don't miss the chance to see the bright and colorful 17th-century homes along the waterfront.
3. Nationalmuseet. Get lost in Copenhagen's National Museum viewing all of the artifacts.
4. The Little Mermaid Statue. This statue was created in 1913 by sculptor Edvard Eriksen as a tribute to Hans Christian Andersen.
5. Strøget. Explore this .69 mile shopping area designated to pedestrians.
6. Rent a Bike. Riding bicycles is a common form of transportation for locals and tourists getting around the city.
7. Christiansborg Palace. The gold details and meticulous architecture of this palace will leave you awe-struck.
8. Christiania. This historic region is full of art, culture, friendly locals, music venues, and organic shops.
9. Botanical Garden. Check out over 13,000 species of plant life in glasshouses built in the 1870s.
10. The David Collection. Explore the art collection of C.L. David, a Danish businessman who donated his home, his art collection, and more.
11. Bakken Amusement Park. Visit this amusement park surrounded by natural elements. Bakken is the longest-running amusement park in the world. It dates back to 1583.
12. Rosenborg Castle. Built by Christian IV in the 1600s, this palace is a must-see! Explore the king's chambers, the collection of Venetian glass, and all of the beautiful tapestries.
13. Copenhagen Nightlife. The nightlife in Copenhagen is spectacular, especially in and around Strøget and Nyhavn. Check out one of the many traditional beer houses or jazz clubs.
14. Church of Our Saviour. This sightly baroque church offers some of the most magnificent views of the city. Take the swirling gold tower to the top of the building for an out-of-this-world sight of Copenhagen.
15. Try Danish Cuisine. Cheese, eggs, pastries, seafood, and fish are popular foods in Copenhagen. Don't leave the city without trying smørrebrød, frikadeller, fishcakes, stegt flæsk, and tartlets.
Copenhagen will leave you with memories of a lifetime, so make sure you explore as much of the city as you can! For more information or to start planning your visit to Denmark's capital, send an email with your inquiries and contact info.
Sign up for my newsletter to receive regular travel tips and destination inspiration.
Share the knowledge
Extraordinary trips for exceptional travelers, where the details make all the difference
Darby’s Destinations LLC, an independent Affiliate of Departure Lounge LLC, a Virtuoso® Member, located at PO Box #26545, Austin, Texas 78755. While our clients have had great experiences with the travel suppliers featured on this website, Darby’s Destinations is not an employee, agent, or representative of these suppliers and, therefore, cannot make any promises regarding the service clients will receive with a particular supplier. Before booking a trip, clients are responsible for reviewing the services offered by the supplier, along with any terms, conditions, and exclusions.